FAQ - Applicants

I'm trying to complete the form, but I'm not sure what to do. Can you help me?

We have a complete online guide for applicants available here, which should cover most questions to do with form completion.

I'm self-employed. Can I have a Standard or Enhanced Disclosure?

Unfortunately, you cannot. Standard and Enhanced checks were created specifically for employers to check their employees' criminal records, so the self-employed cannot access them. However, you can still apply for a Basic level check. If you are part of any agencies or groups for self-employed people in your particular profession, you may be able to obtain a higher level Disclosure through them, or make a subject access request directly through the police, depending on your needs.

I am a transgender applicant: is there any way to prevent the gender I was assigned at birth/my birth name/etc from appearing on my Disclosure?

When completing the form, you do not need to provide details of any names relating to the gender you were assigned at birth. However, you must email the DBS Sensitive Team at sensitive@dbs.gsi.gov.uk to let them know if you do omit any names. This information and the email address also appears on the front page of the form.

I have a previous conviction, caution reprimand or warning for a minor offence. Will this appear on my Disclosure?

It may do. From 29th May 2013 onwards, the DBS will start removing certain old and minor offences from Disclosure certificates, if they meet certain criteria. Convictions for certain specified serious crimes will never be removed, however. For information on which convictions etcetera will be removed from your Disclosure, please see this page.

What ID do I need to provide?

Check our list of suitable ID for a comprehensive list of acceptable ID. The DBS have recently changed the rules about what ID is acceptable, so if you have not applied for any Disclosures in a while, please make sure you are up to date with the new rules. Ideally, you should be able to provide one item from Group One, and two from any Group, one of which must prove your current address. If you can't provide that, then ask the company you're applying for for more information on what to do.

The Disclosure I applied for has been issued, but something on the Disclosure is incorrect or inaccurate. What can I do about this?

If there are any inaccuracies on your Disclosure, you can raise a dispute directly with the DBS. For more information, please see their website.

What is the Update Service, and how do I subscribe to it?

The Update Service is an optional service that should reduce the need for you to be re-checked every few years and make your Disclosure Certificate more portable between jobs. It allows an employer to check online to see whether your Disclosure Certificate is up to date, and if it is, you won't need another check. You can subscribe online.

I'm having trouble completing the Application Form, and my question isn't answered here or in your main guide.

If you have any problems, please get in touch with us by email or telephone and we'll do our best to help.

Make a Free Website with Yola.